
Last week I went to a pressure cooking and canning class at the Bosch store. They were canning meats. After the class I decided that I was going to try an can chicken. I love to use the canned chicken from
Cosco. But it costs over $2 per can. So I hoped that by doing it myself I might
beable to save some money. I use the canned chicken in my chicken noodle soup, chicken enchiladas, stir
frys, chicken salad etc.. it is so fast and convenient. Chicken Breast was on sale for $1.59 per lb at Buy Low Market. To can you take off all the extra fat, and cut into smaller pieces. Then you fill each jar till their 1 1/4 in from the top, packing
loosly. You then add just a bit of canned chicken broth (or water and
boullion). Make sure their aren't any air bubbles, put on the lids and pressure cook for 75 minutes at 13lb pressure. My Sister D. let me borrow her pressure cooker.

I made 14 pints of chicken. I will have to pour the contents of one into a plastic bag and weigh it to see how much it cost per cooked pound. I will do the same with the canned Costco chicken. I want to make sure I'm saving money if I'm going through all the work. The Costco cans say 12.5 oz and I'm not sure if that includes the liquid or not. We will see.

It may not look very appetizing, but hopefully it tastes good. The stuff I tasted at the pressure cooking class was great, and I followed their directions so I will let you know after it has sealed and I use a jar how it goes! This was my first attempt at canning anything I feel quite pleased at my efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment