Thursday, April 9, 2009

Credit Card Fraud Victim

I am so frustrated right now!! In Febraury our debit visa number was stolen and used to charge almost $400.00 worth of things from some online company in a different country. We disputed the fraudulant purchases with the bank and they credited the money (which was good since it came from our overdraft.) It was luckily from an account that we hardly ever use. I had just recently made two online orders using that account and I guess my information was picked up. Now a month later we have recieved a letter from the bank as well as a copy of a supposed purchase order and shipping label with all of our information. Names, Address, but the e-mail address that was being used was off by one digit. The products were being shipped from India to supposedly our house, but we never recieved any such items. It is my belief that the company doesn't even really exist and that they make fake invoices and shipping labels and steal peoples money. The bank is threatening to reverse the $400 they had credited if we can not show proof that we did not purchase these items. Our hope is that the incorrect e-mail address might help our case.

I can not believe how dishonest people are. I will have a hard time ordering online after this. I guess I will have to use gift cards and not actual credit cards if people are going to go to such great lengths to steal and cover their tracks. It seems that with the recession more and more people are resorting to dishonest behavior. My sister had a similar problem with her debit card just a month before me, and my father's e-mail address was stolen and used in a scam.

Coach called the bank and they wanted to know if he had discussed the purchases with his wife since it was my name they were using. I guess they assumed that this poor husband didn't realize that his wife was spending his money. WHATEVER!! He informed them that I was sitting right next to him and that we were composing a letter to continue our dispute. Hopefully they will believe us and truth will prevail. If not we are out $400.

No comments:

Post a Comment