Today was Starboy’s 1st Grade Family Presentation. He has been waiting all year for it. He wanted to make sure that the baby was born and that Dad could come. This left Dad’s Spring Break as the only option. Luckily the other family that was scheduled for this week were willing to trade.
We all got up early and got ready for the day. Starboy picked out what Princess would wear yesterday. He wanted all of us to be dressed very nice. When we arrived at the school Starboy got three chairs set up in front of the room for us to sit in. He was so exicted to hold Princess and introduce us to his class.
He also introduced his class to us by using a special pointer. Then Jason and I talked about our Heritage. My families Ancestors are from the United Kingdon (England, Scotland, Ireland) and Dad’s Ancestors are from United Kingdom on his Dad's side and Spain/ New Mexico on his mothers side. We showed these places on the Globe.
Then I talked a little bit about Mongolia where we served in the United States Peace Corps. I had brought the little model of the Ger we lived in, and I talked about carrying water, and making fires. I then let them see some ankle bones and talked about what games the boys and girls played in Mongolia since they don’t have a Toys R’ Us or Walmart to get toys from. Starboy explained how to play a couple of the games with the ankle bones. I think the kids thought it was fascinating. Some didn’t want to touch the ankle bones.
Next Starboy got to do an activity with the class where he pulled out items from a pillowcase that we had brought from home. One belonged to each member of our family. He would pull one out at a time and call on someone to guess who’s it was.
Below are the items we brought:
Coach - Big Batman Action Figure
Nutrition Momma – Care Bear, Starboy - Fairy Tales Book, Princess- Pooh Bear
It took a few people to guess each one and figure out which items belonged to whom
At this point each of us shared something we like to do. Coach let them seem pictures from when he was in High School and the Orem Tiger Mascot and then he did a back flip for the class.
Starboy then told the class that he likes to wrestle and do gymnastics. He showed the class a single leg takedown with a half pinning combination on his Dad. It turned out really cute. Starboy was really proud.
After this I shared that not only do I teach PE (I was the PE teacher at this school for two years before I had the baby.) I also like to sing. And every night I sing to both Starboy and Princess. I sang one of my favorite songs called “Snuggle Puppy” by Sandra Boynton.
Coach and I then discussed our professions. Coach being a 7th -8th grade reading and English Teacher and I being a Recreational Therapist. What colleges we went to and what we did for our jobs.
At the end of the presentation Mrs. Stewart had the class stand if they had certain connections with Starboy. “Who is also the Oldest in their family?” Who has a baby at their house?” “Who has a mom that is a Recreational Therapist?” Who has a Dad that was a Mascot?” Sometimes there were a lot of connections and sometimes none. She told Starboy how fun to have a unique family.
Then the whole class sang I’m a V.I.P (Very Important Person) and inserted Starboy’s name. Starboy once again got to use the special pointer to point to each of the words in the song as everyone sang.
I think the whole presentation was very successfull and Starboy was proud! I hope that the kids enjoyed learning a little about our family.

What a fun thing for the class to do. Sounds like you did an awesome job. Well, of course, since you are an awesome family! ;)
ReplyDeleteDarn it all, I wanted to hold that baby!!! I'm one of her Auntie's, too! Sigh.
What a wonderful family. We are so very proud of all of you. Star Boy is such a great young man, and is getting really good at gymnastics and wrestling, besides his summer sports. We are also excited that he is enjoying his baby sister, Princess, and has such great parents. We wish we could have been at his special day at school. We know you are all such an exceptional family; of course, I could be a little prejudiced. Lots of hugs and kisses to all of you. Grandma and Grandpa from Hong Kong
ReplyDelete