Friday, March 20, 2009

Three Weeks Old



This week flew by! Baby girl is now 3 weeks old and I did not write one new post. All well. Maybe this week I will find more time. This week baby girl and I ventured out into the world. On Tuesday we had her two week appointment. She weighed in at 9 ib 12 oz at 18 days old. The midwife said "You must keep Ben and Jerry's in there." which I took as a great compliment. Baby girl passed her hearing test and everything looked great, she is healthy and happy. After our appointment we went to Sunflower Market to get on sale strawberries ($1 per pound) and then on to another grocery store for more produce on sale. I wore baby girl in my moby wrap while we shopped. She was very content and slept most the time.

On Wednesday we went for our first walk around the neighborhood. We walked for about 30 minutes (she was in the Moby Wrap for this also) We stopped and visited a couple friends and enjoyed the sunshine. Wednesday evening we went to La Leche Meeting. After 5 months of going pregnant it was so fun to go with a little one in arm and actually have experienced learning to breast feed. In fact I was able to talk with two other expectant mothers about my experience and they seemed to feel realy grateful. My friend has actually asked me to post a detailed description about my experience learning to breastfeed successfully on her Stand and Deliver blog. I am going to try and work on it over the next few days and post it on both her site and mine. It is so important for new moms to understand that breastfeeding is difficult at first, but that if you keep working at it you and your baby can often succeed, even if it seems impossible at first.

My Baby girl is sleeping well these last few nights waking up every 4 hours instead of two. It helps that her nose is getting less stuffed. We have started doing exercies each day. It is exercise for me and play for the baby. I use her weight and do repetitions to strengthen my arms, legs, and stomach. She thinks it is pretty fun. She also does her tummy time exercises strengthening her head and neck. Sometimes we use the boppy for this, and sometimes she lays flat on a blanket on the floor.

I have gotten braver about leaving her for a couple hours here and there. Monday night I went to a movie while my husband stayed home with both kids. I had never been to a movie by myself, but there was a chick flick showing that I really wanted to see and it was 50 cent night so he told me to go and relax. It was actually really fun. It was only a 90 minute movie and it started at 5:15 so I got home in time to put my son to bed and feed the baby. After I got home my husband went and saw a different movie. It was a good trade off.

I also took my son to Gymnastics both Tuesday and Thursday. He was excited to have me come and watch him and my husband was happy to stay with the sleeping baby and read for that hour (or sleep).


We are all settling into this new life together, and I think we are all happier. This baby seems to have a very peaceful influence over our home. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be her mother.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like things are going really well. I'm a new reader to your blog and am enjoying it! Looking forward to your post for Stand and Deliver!!

    ReplyDelete